Supported Content Types
Ooyala supports these popular content types.
VideoWhen you upload a video to Backlot, Backlot automatically transcodes it using the settings specified for your account and makes the videos available for playback through your player.
We recommend that you upload videos to Backlot in H.264. We also support many commonly used codecs (see Supported Ingest Formats for details).
AudioTo play an audio asset on an Ooyala player you can upload the audio asset and have it transcoded as a video with a blank slate. This asset can be played on our Player as a video asset. The playback stack will choose the appropriate stream.
A remote asset is a piece of content that you add to Backlot without uploading, processing, or storing the content with Ooyala. Remote asset management provides all of the benefits of Backlot, including management, syndication, monetization, analytics, and access to the Ooyala APIs.
Ooyala supports the following formats:
- mp4, m4a, mov, 3gp, 3g2, flv, f4v
- SMIL via HTTP (single stream), SMIL via RTMP (multiple streams)
Remote assets can be added to Backlot using the Backlot UI or through the APIs. After a piece of content is added to Backlot, Ooyala stores basic information about it, including the duration and title. Rules, customizations, preview images, and additional metadata can be applied to remote assets through the Backlot UI or APIs
Once uploaded, remote assets can be delivered by Ooyala or a CDN of your choice.
- Maintain a consistent look and feel across your site with the Ooyala player or your custom player.
- Leverage the use of Ooyala's rich APIs for an integrated and customized experience.
- Gain insight and maintain the benefits of Ooyala's leading analytics for all videos in your account.
- Discover supplemental content for your site from Youtube, the Internet's largest video library.
- Apply time, geographic, or domain-based rules to the content.
- Leverage Ooyala's intuitive and comprehensive tools to manage, syndicate, customize, and analyze YouTube content, along with your own content.
YouTube videos are sourced from YouTube, are not downloaded to your account, are not transcoded by Ooyala, and are not applied to your delivery or managed content allowances. As a result, all videos will contain a YouTube watermark and will be delivered using the best quality YouTube can provide based on the embed size of the player.
Keep in mind that YouTube content might not always be available to the player. For example, videos might be removed, videos might be restricted based on YouTube publisher rules, or access to YouTube might be blocked by a viewer’s company or institution.
AdOoyala currently supports two types of ads: linear (in-stream) and non-linear (overlay).
- A linear ad is simply a video that is marked as an ad. Once marked, you can add video ads to the beginning of videos (pre-roll), during videos (mid-roll), or to the end of videos (post-roll). Video ads can be individually added to videos, or you can group them in ad sets, which automatically rotates them.
- Non-linear ads are text ads that display while videos are playing. You can associate third-party ad networks (e.g., DoubleClick) with your videos. As your videos play, advertisements from the third party ad network automatically appear. When an advertisement appears, viewers can click it to follow the offer.
To use non-linear ads, you need an ad tag and, optionally, a tracking pixel URL. An ad tag is a URL that provides information about your organization and the types of ads to serve to the third-party ad network. A tracking pixel URL enables the ad network to monitor the delivery of their ads.