Discovering Content in Player V4
Discovery enables you to keep users engaged by directing them to related and relevant content on your site. Discovery learns continuously from video impressions and plays to provide users with a dynamic, personalized experience.
Using Discovery, you can recommend:
- Videos based on content popularity or velocity for the current hour, day, week, or month.
- Videos with usage patterns that are similar to a selected video.
Enabling Discovery for Your AccountDiscovery must be explicitly enabled for your Ooyala Backlot account. If it is not already enabled, contact your Ooyala account representative to activate Discovery features for your site.
Adding the Discovery Plugin to an HTML PageTo use Discovery with Player V4, you need to add the Discovery plugin (<script src="url_where_hosted/discovery_api.min.js"></script>) to your HTML page (for example, in the page <head>) so that the Discovery plugin loads before the player is created. Discovery functionality requires the playerBrandingId you specify on the page. See Embed a Player with Discovery Functionality for instructions on how to load the plugin.
Customizing the Discovery User InterfaceYou can customize the Discovery interface by modifing settings in the skin.json config file or in CSS properties.
Discovery settings in skin.jsonYou can change Discovery interface settings in skin.json:
- To customize visual elements in the Discovery screen (such as the title), change settings under discoveryScreen.
- To display the Discovery screen when playback ends, under the endScreen settings, specify "screenToShowOnEnd": "discovery".
- To display the Discovery screen when playback pauses, under the pauseScreen settings, specify "screenToShowOnPause": "discovery".
- To configure Discovery buttons, under buttons, change the discovery button settings for desktopContent and desktopContent.
- To configure the Discovery icon, under icons, change the discovery icon settings.
Discovery settings in CSSYou can customize the Discovery interface by modifying settings under the discoveryScreen element. See Customizing the Player V4 Appearance Using CSS for instructions.