Ooyala Transcoding Service (OTS) Release Notes
Support for Transcoding VR 360 Videos (2017-12-20)This release introduces support for transcoding VR 360 videos for optimized playback in the Ooyala player. By default, Ooyala provides a single-bitrate processing profile for any videos identified on upload as VR 360. This profile creates at minimum an ~8 Mbps HLS and/or DASH stream with a 4K resolution of 3840p. Ooyala ingestion maintains the source aspect ratio and calculates height dynamically, while the source frame rate is also retained from the source file. For details, see Encoding Recommendations for Player V4. For an overview, see VR 360 Videos.
OTS Enhancements (2017-10-12)
- Dynamic manifest with Microsoft Azure. Generate a customized manifest based on a predefined filter. For example, request HD and SD renditions only. Better control the customer viewing experience on various device types and reduce CDN usage. See Dynamic Manifests.
- Additional validation of video files after ingestion. A series of video and audio quality checks can be performed before and after transcoding. Contact your Ooyala account representative to request these validation checks. See Ooyala Transcoding Service (OTS).
- In-region ingestion and transcoding using Azure Media services, reducing overall transcoding time and keeping content in the same region as the customer. See Ooyala Transcoding Service (OTS).
- Faster transcoding for smaller files and a shorter polling cycle for updates.
OTS Enhancements (2017-07-20)
- Performance enhancements resulting in faster transcoding speeds.
- VOD source file validation: OTS now checks for source file corruption by comparing the source frame count with the output frame count.
- Ingest support for the H.265 HEVC codec: For customers using static transcoding and packaging, we now support ingesting MP4 content with High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), also known as the H.265 HEVC codec. For a complete list of supported source file formats, see Supported Ingest Formats. Note that the Ooyala Player does not currently support HEVC playback.
- Encrypted connections for remote assets: Added support for using Ooyala Widevine/Playready DRM key server with remote assets. Customers using their own VOD and live transcoding with Backlot, Ooyala Player, and Ooyala IQ can also use the DRM key server.
- Dynamic repackaging: For customers who are using static repackaging for VOD files, OTS now supports dynamic repackaging via Azure Media Services. Contact your account manager if are interested in using dynamic packaging.